12.03.2009

Phrases that just plain piss me off.


Ever hear a phrase that just makes you cringe at its complete moronity? (it's a word) No? Well then, stop reading because this doesn't apply to you. You'll be cruisin' for a bruisin'. See what I mean? You just winced a bit, didn't you?

Me? I was hurtin' for certain. Jesus, this actually hurts to type.

A lot of these phrases are used in advertising: "Fun in the Sun!" "Season for Pleasin'!" "Sell like Hell!" Most are simply used by cretins and are often employed as feeble threats, such as: "Zip your lip!" or the aforementioned two. One that holds a particularly warm spot in Hell for me is "I'm in it to win it!", because it's just so fucking stupid. Never has anyone uttered the phrase, "I'm in it to place a solid third."

Perhaps the worst thing is when someone (usually a male who finds Hooters pretty upscale) either makes one up on the spot: "I'm jonesin' for a bonesin'!", or uses one that's been around since the invention of air and tries to pass it off as an original: "You got it made in the shade!"

Are there any particular ones that grate on you? Please ... dare to share.

At least this one makes sense.

8 comments:

  1. Sheeze, Louise....(I use it on the kids when I am peeved.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOATHE-"my bad." Just makes my skin crawl. I also once called something "adorbs" instead of adorable and I live with the secret shame every day. I like "cruisin' for a bruisin'." My mom said that to me so much when I was a kid I thought she invented it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Shannon and her "secret shame." Also, I've totally said "Jeez, Louise" and "Cruisin' for a bruisin" and I'm totally okay with that. :)

    One phrase I hate is "you got pwn3d" and all that web-speak nonsense. I'm sorry, but it's "owned," and even that is PLAYED. HA! There I go again. I'm so trendy I even annoy myself.

    I'm also sick of the whole "Fail" and "Epic Fail" phenomenon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say "Jeez Louise eatin' peas." Because I'm not afraid to "go there," which is another way played out phrase.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I'm in it to place a solid third" made me LOL, which I also hate.

    My husband also hates "my bad", so imagine how pleased I was when Sam started saying it.

    Really excellent comment contribution I've made here. You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Geez Louise, people, this whole thing is an epic fail, yet I feel as if I've totally pwn3d all of you. You're all like "oh no, you di'nt!" but I had to go there. But then, it is what it is and Bob's your uncle. Whatever.

    Oh, and ... y'all are adorbs. Suck it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha! I was *this close* to mentioning "oh no, you di'nt". Damn.

    Stuart, I effing adore you! Cheers! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate LOL, too. I always go for BOLLADS (bark out loud like a dying seal). Because I bark out loud a lot. But not like Kim Catrall in Porky's. Did I just show my age with that outdated reference? Suck it if you don't like it.

    What the frick was I talking about?

    ReplyDelete

Dance for me, my little puppets ...